Wednesday, June 4, 2008

My Little Ballerina


Sorry I haven't written in a really long time, but a trojan horse snuck up on my ass and my computer has been on the fritz ever since. And even though my hubby has three other computers, I still have to fight him for computer time! Anyway, I have so much to say!! Where do I start? I've been thinking it's time I include some of my sappy stories, so that those of you who are under the impression that I only complain about my kids will realize that I also love them very much. And I just so happen to have a good one to tell: This past week we were getting ready for my daughters first dance recital. Her rehearsal was on Thursday night. The flyer that had all of the info on it said "be there at 6:45 pm" and that's it. It said nothing about whether it was a dress rehearsal or not. I assumed that since the dancers are four years old, they'd schmootz up their costumes if they wore them the day before the recital and therefore it must NOT be a dress rehearsal. I was wrong. We got there and Abby saw everyone else in their costumes and she proceeded to cry. This, of course, broke my heart. It was the first (of what will probably be many to come) time when I embarrassed her. Damn. I apologized profusely and shoved her onto the stage. She was cool about it and did the dance without flinching. Very smooth little girl. That night, when I was tucking her in, she reminded me that I screwed up. "You forgot my costume, Mommy!" And I said, "I'm sooooo sorry, baby." "Maybe this is the best time to teach you a very important lesson...Mommy is not perfect either and I'm going to make lots of mistakes. But I'm very sorry about it." And then my daughter took my face in her hands and said "oh, but Mommy, you are perfect!" Needless to say, I balled my eyes out. It brings tears to my eyes even now. She's such a wonderful little girl and I'm so lucky to have her!

1 comment:

The Littles said...

so glad you are back again! this story makes me teary eyed just reading it!