Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Closet of Shame

Before I had children, death was pretty much a non-issue to me. That was before I wore my heart on my sleeve. And now, I see everything as having the potential to orphan my kids or worse, to harm them. I'm absolutely paranoid! What further accentuates the situation is the fact that I've been watching the history channel a lot lately. I love the history channel, but their topics lately have been quite grim: Doomsday 2012, Oil Apocalypse, Mega Disasters, Global Warming, etc. All of these shows are meant to make us feel completely screwed, of course. That's how they keep us watching. And it's been working! I've since started to wonder what I could do to prepare my family, in the event that we get nuked, a volcano erupts and dust covers the sky for ten years, or that spy sattelite decides to land right in my neighborhood. :) (hey, you never know!) I did some research on these various topics and then decided it was time to go shopping! I bought rubbing alcohol, bandages, masks, medicines, t.p., garbage bags, and much, much more! I put all of these items in our walk-in entryway closet (knowing this would be the best place to hide later), along with a list of things to do after we've been nuked. Jer came home from work and opened the closet to put his jacket away, and found the items, with the list hanging from a nail on the wall. He thought it was hysterical and vowed that he'd NEVER let any of his friends hang their coats in that closet, for fear that they'd see the list and be convinced that I'm a complete nutcase. Then I said, "Oh, I forgot one more thing! I need to put some of my old narcotics in the box too...in case we're all so bad off that I need to do us in!" (I smile) "Yep," Jer says, "You're nuts!" He's since deemed that closet "The Closet of Shame". Maybe so, but I'll never be caught with my pants down. And you know you'll all be knocking on my door when the shit comes down!! :) (lol)

2 comments:

The Littles said...

lol! it's true...we came runnin to you last time so I think that qualifies us for first come, first serve, right? btw- what is on the list of things to do afterwards?

Maryellen said...

Sounds more like the "Closet of Doom!," said with a loud, booming, echoing voice.

I was just telling one of my friends just this past Sunday about my nut job sis who thinks the sky is going to fall in on her. The topic came up after I said I save all my heavy narcotics because my sister said I should. So I find the timing of this post quite humorous. I guess you'll be the last one laughing if the ish really does hit the fan. You know I love ya!