Sunday, August 3, 2008

Oy vey...


I had a good weekend, but it came REALLY close to turning into a disaster. I was walking a very fine line. I may have even crossed it, but unfortunately, I don't remember! Yes, I got drunk. I don't usually drink much. Stop laughing, I serious. Once a month, maybe. Usually less than that. But anyway, I went to a birthday party on Saturday afternoon. As soon as I arrived, I was offered a mixed drink. I knew it would be a bad idea because it was too early in the game. I'd be passed out by dinner time. So I politely refused. Then the lady said that she would make a "really weak drink". I caved in. It really did taste weak, so I didn't worry about it. One hour later I was passed out in the bedroom. I didn't know what hit me! I pulled myself off of the bed a couple of hours later and went outside to join the others. I was sluggish and tired, but wanted to wake myself up for the rest of the party. So I decided to take a flyin leap onto the slip-and- slide, (after being coaxed by others, of course). It started a trend and soon the rest of the party was slippin and slidin. It was a blast and the rest of the evening went well. But when it was finally time to go to bed for the night, I began to realize that there were gaps in my memory of the night. I think I had MANY conversations that I barely remember. I know I had a discussion with a friend about whether he should marry or not. Wow, I hope I did that one well! And I know I had the obligatory conversation with my brother-in-law, in which I told him how much I love him and my sister-in-law. (It wouldn't be a typical drunken episode without that, right? "I love you, man!") But other than those two conversations, I'm lost. I haven't had lapses in my memory since college. I feel like a complete loser! Granted, I really did try to play it safe and not drink a stiff drink. I tried to be good! But I think that chick slipped a ruffie in my drink or something. She is officially going on my "evil people" list (along with Oprah Winfrey and the girl who stole my boyfriend in high school). I'm 34 years old, with a husband and children, and I was slip-and-sliding and jumping in the kids' moonwalk! Ugh. Although, I probably would have done those things sober too. The point is that everyone else probably thinks I behaved that way because I was shnockered. If only my friend Traci were there, she could have defended my honor by letting everyone know this was normal for me, NOT necessarily alcohol-induced! Well, it worked out in the long run because the other adults followed my lead and we all had a great time playing in the water. Gee, what will I do next year, for an encore? I'd hate to disappoint everyone...

1 comment:

The Littles said...

oy vey, indeed! (note to self, for some free entertainment at the next family event, get Catherine a little toasted....HA!)