Thursday, January 24, 2008


So I'd like to start my first blog with a confession. I try really hard to keep up with fashion trends, but I truly have no idea what I'm doing. I guess it's just not a big enough priority, because I continuously screw it up. I brush up on what's popular and then trot on over to my favorite boutique: Target and attempt to make myself look somewhat presentable, on what feels like a welfare budget (it would make a crack whore laugh in pity). But then I find myself constantly leaning back on what's simply comfortable. (After all, I do spend most of my time wrestling three little kids. A cute skirt and some wedges just won't cut the mustard.) And then there are those mornings when I'm in a rush and have the misfortune of combining the two (fashion trend with comfy-mom clothes). And this morning was no exception. After losing a lot of the post-baby weight, I've thrown out all of my high-waisted mom jeans, vowing that I'd never go that route again. Unfortunately, I never threw out my mom underwear. So this morning I threw on my clothes and ran out the door, in quite a rush. As I was dropping the twins off at preschool, I saw an acquaintance of mine and proceeded to raise my arm in the air, to wave at her. It was then that I realized that my jeans were low-waisted but my underwear were hanging out about TWO INCHES above my jean line. Ugh. Instead of trying to cover it up, I quickly pretended that I was very ill. Afterall, who could make fun of me when I was practically on deaths door, right? I couldn't help but laugh myself to tears, once I got back into the van. (I do that a lot since becoming a SAHM...laugh hysterically, all by myself...not quite sure if that's normal or not...I'll look into it). I wanted to come home and take a picture of it, but the baby pooped all over me and I had to come straight home and change. Instead, I've posted this lovely example of mom jeans. Oh, you've gotta love the moms.

2 comments:

The Littles said...

okay, first off: Target is very cool to everyone now, not just us poor folk! secondly, very proud of you for throwing out your high waisted jeans! not many have the good sense to do so :) since becoming a SAHM myself I have become obsessed with What Not to Wear....it's getting a little sad. I refer to Stacy and Clinton like we're all good friends! Keep up the blog, i like it!

Anonymous said...

Have you ever thought of writing a column for your local newspaper? You have a good style and there is both humor and pathos in what you write. There have been women who have become nationally syndicated columnists and authors with little more wit than you have. Think about it...

I would also like to note that women in general are the most ignored minority in the world. Even in the best situations the world has yet to accept us as equals to males. We are still paid less for doing the same jobs, in some parts of the world we are being persectuted, and when we try to run for president we get to have all of the female stereotypes thrown at us. We still have a long way to go as women...