Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Look out!!!!!


I've recently discovered something significant about myself. I'm overall an easy-going person, when it comes to my own life. But when dealing with my children, it's a whole different story. I'm so paranoid. I'm like "Debbie Downer", from Saturday Night Live. waaa,waaaaaaaa..... (frown)

I can turn ANY moment into a stress-filled adventure. In my mind, everything has the potential for certain death to my children. "Here's some peanuts to snack on kiddos - don't choke to death!" "Hold the hand rail on the stairs - you're going to break your neck." "Stop watching the rain out the window - you're gonna get struck by lightning!"

It's seriously irrational and most likely getting under my kids skin by now. And I'm fully aware that if I don't learn to back off now, they'll HATE ME in their teen years. But I can't help myself! Not only are they the most important people in my life, but I also don't want to spend anymore money in the ER! If we go there one more time, they're going to call CPS on my ass. How do you back off when you have the clumsiest kids in the world? They can get hurt sitting on the toilet!
My husband is also very paranoid. (so we're a very annoying couple) We've discussed this issue and decided it comes down to the age old question of "the chicken or the egg". Were we paranoid to begin with or did our clumsy children instill this sense of paranoia in us, out of necessity? I'll give you a great example. My sisters boys were playing baseball on the wii. Her eldest son took a swing at the ball, while the youngest was walking by. The youngest simply ducked down. Common sense, right? My kids would have been lying flat on their backs! Oh, what to do, what to do. I guess after enough broken bones they'll figure it all out, huh? I'm just hoping that happens soon because we're going bankrupt, paying all of these medical bills. No college for them, just a well-adjusted sense of danger.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Muscle memory kicked in for your sister's kid, he has been hit before, so he knew to duck. Your youngest will develop the skill.